Friday, October 1, 2010

What's the Hype about Spanish?

Spanish is a beautiful language. Even deeper, it is an even more beautiful culture. They have passion for things so different from what we Americans have passion for. I went to Spain when I was 18. It was a short trip, only two weeks, but I fell in love. Even before this, I was hooked. I began taking Spanish when I was sin 8th grade. It was easy for me, learning numbers, letters, seasons, months, days, years, and the present tense. It was not too hard. Then high school came. I took Spanish all four years and was in advanced classes for it. For three of those four years, I had the same teacher. Her name was Kyleen Cunningham. Kyleen was the best teacher I have ever had. She was a great friend too. Always striving for her students to be the best they can be. Having a great teacher also made me fall in love with the language. Kyleen not only taught me why I wanted to teach Spanish, but also why I wanted to become a teacher. She was so enthusiastic about school and life. She loved it all.
     After these four years, the trip to Spain was just a deal-breaker. For two weeks, 25 students and four chaperones traveled ALL across Spain. We saw all of the greatest historic sites, ate at the best restaurants, saw the best plazas, and met some amazing people. More importantly, we saw a sneak-peak of Spaniards. I got to speak Spanish for two whole weeks straight. Most of the Spaniards were so helpful and patient when we were trying to speak (remember, we were all not fluent yet!). It may have been the best experience of my life so far. There are no words to describe how beautiful and unique this country is. My favorite places were Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, and Granada (and, of course, Costa Del Sol (the beach)). If you want to see a map of Spain, we traveled to just about all of the major cities. I'll post my own pictures as well :)
     Stay tuned, next week is the study abroad fair. For a few weeks, I will be discussing to all of you my study abroad trip next year and encouraging all of you to partake or at least travel abroad sometime in your life!!! 
Here is Cordoba!

1 comment:

  1. I love learning languages and about other cultures. I took a couple of semesters of Spanish just last year but I am no where near fluent enough to really speak it. Those damn verbs! That trip to Spain must have been spectacular. I have never been to Europle and hope to go someday.

    ReplyDelete