Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween!


This week is Halloween. My mom and I decided to make my costume. I am going to be a witch. We bought all of the material from JoAnne Fabrics. Luckily the day we went, all of the fabric we needed was half off so I spent maybe $25 on a costume, which is a lifesaver because costumes these days are completely ridiculous!  (Plus, as a college student, I am literally broke! Well not broke, but I am not allowed to touch my savings account because that is all for Spain.) We bought black and red material. My mom made my skirt, hat, and cape. I had an old corset lying around which matched perfectly. The skirt, cape, and hat were all sewn with the red material. The red material actually has spider webs on the fabric so it is very “Halloween-y.” I am going to Central again this weekend to celebrate. Then on Saturday, I have to work and am going to a work party too! I am very excited. I love Halloween.
For the parties this weekend, I am in charge of the desserts. I love to bake (not cook! There is a difference to me). I am making puppy chow, orange rice krispy treats, a pumpkin cake, and brownies with orange and black frosting. It seems like a lot but I can multitask pretty easily. If anyone wants recipes for these, I will post them on my next post so all of you have some Halloween treats to make! Some of my friends are being some ridiculous things. Most are the normal cat or bunny. However, my boyfriend and all of his roommates are going to be the dragons from Dragon Tales… quite interesting if you ask me. My best friend is Robinhood and her costume is very scandalous… not something I would ever wear! I would like to keep some dignity. Girls will be girls though right!? Overall, next to Christmas and my birthday, Halloween is my third favorite holiday. However, it has changed so much since I was a kid.
This year in my neighborhood, kids must trick-or-treat on Saturday night (Devil’s Night), not on Halloween because it falls on a Sunday. That it just total bogus. Next, they are only allowed one hour to runaround and get candy. We used to be able to go from 4 pm until almost midnight! And, they must trick-or-treat before it gets dark. I think this is just nonsense. This generation is ruining the fun of Halloween. Next, we will probably have to start handing out fruits and vegetables, not candy. I hope kids are still enjoying Halloween like I used to. Even though the economy is horrible, I hope parents are still able to afford costumes and candy. Hope everyone has a great week and Halloween. My next post will have all of those recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment