Thursday, October 14, 2010

Midterm/ studying tips

     So the past few weeks I babbled about my trip to Spain. I hope all of you enjoyed the pictures. I think studying abroad will be one of the best experiences for me. I need something new in my life. As talked about before, studying in college is a necessity. And why is studying so necessary? Because, everyone will be tested on what they have learned. Also known as midterm and final exams, or just tests in general. Next week, I have three midterms and one paper due. The paper has already been finished so check! I have a midterm in Spanish, Biology, and Theatre. The Spanish midterm is an interesting one. Since this is my last Spanish grammar class for my undergraduate major, our professor is expecting all of the students to remember all that we have learned in the other grammar classes we have taken. I must know all vocabulary words, verb tenses, verb conjugations, sentence structures, etc. It is going to be a lot of work. However I have already begun to study. My exam in Biology will not be that hard. I enjoy anatomy and we are learning about the heart, which is very interesting to me. Theatre is also online, so if I have to, I can use my notes and book. However, never bank on that!
As a student, I have come up with a list of things to do with study. They may be helpful to you as well!
  • If you study while drinking coffee, tea, or pop, also drink this when you are taking an exam. (Also applies to chewing gum or candy!)
  • Try to outline what you already know, what you barely know, and what you only need to review a little. This helps balance out which subject or topics need to be focused on more.
  • I love flashcards for vocab. Quiz yourself.
  • Study groups are extremely helpful, when the group actually studies! This is very true because you will be able to teach what you already know to someone else, as well as learn from someone else what they already know.
  • Think of tricks to help remember things. For instance, acyonyms help me get through Spanish.
  •  When studying alone, find a nice quiet place to relax. Have some QUIET music playing in the background. Too many distractions = no learning.
  • Eat a meal before and after studying.
  • Take a break about every hour. The brain needs oxygen so take a walk or lay down for about 15 minutes. Breaks are important, do not just study for hours with not pause. No knowledge will be retained.
  • Do not wait until the last minute to open the book. A.K.A. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE.
These are just a few of my tricks. I have provided an interesting video as well. It is about how IUPUI (Indiana and Purdue Universities) create these things call study cycles. Have a great weekend! Add some tips for others if you have any I forgot or did not mention!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some good tips. I especially like the one about outlining what you know and what you don't. I think that would help me in my studying more.

    ReplyDelete