Thursday, September 30, 2010

Teaching

As a student, it is easy to see myself in this classroom setting forever. I love it. Like I said in my last post, I love learning and I wish I could continue to learn all of my life. Which, in essence, I will. Ever since I was five years old, I have wanted to be a teacher. Truth be told, I used to sit in my bedroom and pretend that my cats were my students. I would literally take the pencil and put it in their paws and help them write. I would also make my own handouts and pretend to give them tests. Once I began to grow up, my sister and I still used to play school all the time with each other, friends, our barbies, etc. I was a fast learner and I also developed a photographic memory, which helps! Once high school hit, I fell even more deeply in love with school. Not just school however, but Spanish. I loved being able to choose the classes that I wanted to take. I loved being able to enjoy the freedom of being a high school student. I made great friends, I fell in love with a boy for the first time (yikes!), and I learned to love the idea of becoming a teacher. This idea is my motivation key in getting through college. I want to be a teacher. I want to be a Spanish teacher. And I know I will be able to fulfill this dream.
       When I was a senior in high school, I got to take a class called Teacher Cadet. I would go over to Clarkston Elementary everyday after I was finished with my classes, and teach 2nd grade. It was such an intense year. I had to write lesson plans, make up tests, design projects. Most importantly though, I had to teach. I was in charge, the authority figure, the mentor to these kids. It was such a blessing to me. For a lot of the other students who took this class, it was a curse. They hated it and did not want to be teachers anymore. Yet, I wanted it even more.
Here is a picture of me teaching my 2nd grade classroom!
      A few weeks ago, I turned in my teaching application to the University. I was nervous, but I was more excited. I find out in November if I made it in or not! Next post, I will tell all why I love Spanish and how I fell in love with a new language and culture! Until then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment